How to Select the Best Cat Water Fountain 2017
When it comes to caring for your cat, only the best will do, right! Of course! Water fountains can give your cat access to fresh water anytime they wish. There are several different choices on the market, and it can be confusing when it comes to deciphering which one would be best for your feline. We’ve scoured around and searched high and low, and have come up with five of our top picks for 2017.
**Below, you'll find more detailed review, but you can also click links above to see current prices and read customer's reviews on Amazon.
How much water does my cat need?
Typically, cats need between 2 and 4 ounces of water per day. Their predecessors normally got their hydration needs met from their prey; as natural hunters, their food sources, such as birds, mice and other small animals provided them with most of the hydration they needed. Today, as domesticated and dignified beings, cats much prefer to drink out of a dish, thank you very much.
If your cat’s diet consists mainly of wet canned food, they’ll need to actually drink very little through out the day. If their diet is made up of dry food, having fresh water beside the food dish is imperative.
If your cat suffers from kidney failure (as is common in aging cats), or you have multiple cats, having a cat fountain full of water at all times will ensure their hydration needs are met. Often, diseases such as kidney failure and diabetes increases their thirst ten-fold. It’s also very important that their water supply is always fresh to keep their health in top condition as long as possible.
Do cats really need a fancy water fountain?
Ok, let’s get this out of the way – does your feline really need a fancy water fountain? Probably not; that is, they will drink out of whatever dish you give them; BUT (and this is important) your cat is not just a cat, he’s part of your family! And darn it, you want him to have the best that money can buy, right?
Your fur babies need to know that they are loved and appreciated. And in return, they will show their love and appreciation; you know, by nibbling on your toes when you’re in bed, or jumping on your laptop when you’re trying to work. So, the answer is a resounding YES – your cat really does need a fancy water fountain!
So, why should I buy a cat fountain?
There are several reasons you may want to invest in a cat water fountain. Some of these include:
- You go away a lot and want your cat to have access to clean, fresh water every day
- You have multiple cats
- Your cat has kidney failure or diabetes
- You want fresh, filtered water for your cat
- You’re tired of refilling the water dish yourself
How often should you change the water?
Cats won’t typically drink a full dish of water in a day; so how often should you change the water?Ideally, it should be changed every few days; however, if you live in a humid climate, opt to change it every day. If you have multiple cats who drink out of the same fountain, you may want to change it out each day. If the food dish is close by, and your cat likes to flick their dry food into the water (like mine does!) then changing it every day makes sense.
Features to look for in a cat water fountain
- If your cat’s food and water dish is out in the open where others will see it, then it makes sense to get something that suits your overall décor and tastes.
- Cats tend to like wide bowls, as they don’t like to have their whiskers touching the sides. Keep this in mind when choosing the right cat water fountain.
- They come in several different materials, including stainless steel, plastic and ceramic. Cats can be choosy about what they drink out of, so buy one that your cat will actually enjoy using. If you’re not sure, use smaller bowls of different materials to test what your cat likes and what he doesn’t.
- Some water fountains have ‘bubblers’ and use a motor; some also make a ‘gurgle’ sound similar to that of water cooler systems. If the system is too loud, it could actually scare your cat, and they won’t go near it, which of course completely defeats the purpose of you having a fountain in the first place.
- Look for a water fountain that is easy to clean, and doesn’t require you to change filters on a too frequent basis.
The top 5 picks for a cat water fountain
Here are the top 5 picks for a cat water fountain:
This plastic water fountain can be ideal for one cat, or several. The continuous flow of water entices your cat to drink more, resulting in a healthier and more hydrated pet. The LED light is great for night time use and the motor is nice and quiet both day and night. Water capacity is 1.8L.
- Uses a carbon filter to freshen and clean the water
- Very affordable
- Comes with a LED light which gives illumination at night. It can be turned on and off
- Filter only needs to be changed every 2-3 months, even in multi-cat households
- Quite operation at night
- Operates on a low 12V power supply, ensuring the safety of both you and your pets
- The fountain is dishwasher safe (must be removed from the pump first)
- Motor is quiet, so not apt to scare your cats away
- Does not shut off automatically
- Because of its plastic construction, it may not be as sturdy as other types; larger cats may beable to tip it over
- Water reservoir can be messy to refill
This is a very attractive two-tier design that will look great no matter where you place it in your home.The elevated top layer is perfect for older cats with arthritis. The free-flowing water entices your cat to drink more, while the quite motor won’t interrupt other goings-on in the house. The large 100-ounce capacity means you won’t need to fill or change the reservoir on a frequent basis and is ideal if you have multiple cats.
- The carbon water filter removes odors and bad tastes, keeping water fresh and clean
- The elevated drinking dish means arthritic and aging cats have easier access
- The pump is a low 12-voltage system, resulting in a quiet and safe motor; and, you won’t havehuge electrical bills at the end of the month
- Top shelf dishwasher safe
- Plastic materials are BPA-free
- The receiving ramp cuts down on the amount of splashing water
- Includes a free charcoal filter
- If you buy this for both your dog and cat, keep in mind that the top tier (where the dog is likelyto drink out of) will splash water onto the floor
- Top tier requires filling on a frequent basis
This is definitely the best looking fountain of the bunch! In fact, we’d buy it even if we didn’t have cats,because it would look perfect in the garden! Seriously, though, the Catit Flower Fountain is simple yet effective when it comes to making sure your cat gets enough water throughout the day.
The design is so simple that it’s brilliant – the removable flower makes it easy to make it a regular water dish; with the flower, it becomes a masterpiece of flowing, fresh, clean water that your cat is sure to enjoy.
- There are 3 different water flow settings, to suit even the pickiest of drinkers
- The 3L capacity takes up very little floor space so it can be placed just about anywhere in your home
- The system comes with a dual-action filter that softens water and includes an energy-efficiencypump
- Can be used with or without the flower centerpiece
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Dishwasher safe (top rack)
- If the water level is low, medium and large sized cats may be able to tip the bowl over
- Because it’s not a clear design, it can be difficult to gauge how much water is in the bowl
The stainless steel design will look great in any room in your home, particularly in your kitchen if you also have stainless steel appliances. It provides plenty of fresh, clean water and has a large 60-ounce capacity bowl. The high grade steel construction means it will last for years and is sturdy enough that your pet won’t tip it over.
- The circulating water design is naturally appealing so your cat will be attracted to it, not fearful of it
- Comes with a charcoal filter that provides pure, fresh, healthy water for your cat
- Dishwasher safe
- The spout can be moved to the center to cut down on the noise and ensure that everything islined up perfectly
- Suitable for single or multiple cat homes
- Affordable, even if you’re on a tight budget
- Filters need to be changed every 30 days and replacements need to be purchased
- Pump/motor can be noisy, depending on where you place it in your home
This plastic 50-ounce cat water fountain is a great choice for both small dogs and cats. The free-flowing water system helps entice cats to drink more water, which will help to prevent urinary tract infections and kidney disease. The ergonomic design makes a great addition to any room in your home, regardless of your décor.
- Features an adjustable flow control knob that allows you to customize the water flow
- Made of BPA-free plastic
- Top dishwasher rack safe
- Includes carbon water filter that works to remove odors and bad tastes from the water, keepingit fresh and clean for when your cat wants it
- Constant circulation reduces the amount of bacteria growth in between cleanings
- Filters need to be changed every 30 days or so, adding up to the cost of replacement parts
- Filter change frequency will increase according to the number of cats you have
- It does not come with the reservoir container; you must buy that separately
The Best Cat Water Fountain
So, who is the clear winner here? For us, it’s the Catit Flower Fountain. It not only looks great (did we mention we love the flower centerpiece?) but we think the simple design is brilliant. It matches any décor and does what it needs to do – entice your cat to drink more. And the water he drinks will be fresher, cleaner and healthier than water just standing in a bowl.
This fountain is affordable, has a quiet motor, is great for small and large cats and runs on a low voltage,so you don’t have to worry about astronomical hydro bills each month. It is easy to clean and the bowl is wide enough that they won’t feel claustrophobic when drinking out of it. It is easy to clean and the filters are easily replaceable.
There are many things to consider when looking for a cat water fountain, and of course, your cat’s personality and distinct tastes will influence the one you choose. All of the above fountains are very affordable so you don’t have to worry about breaking your budget while giving your feline the best care possible.