Whenever I’m cleaning my cat’s messes, I ALWAYS wish I could just potty train them in the toilet. That way, I won’t have to worry about their waste, simply flushing it down without the stink. I guess millions of other cat owners feel the same, as litter box manufacturers have created automatic litter boxes that wash and flush itself!
One of the first of its kind is the CatGenie Litter Box, well known for its self-cleaning properties. But does it live up to its claims? It honestly sounds too good to be true, especially since you won’t need to use as much litter!
That’s why I decided to review the litter box myself, so read on for my full review!
CatGenie Litter Box
**Below, you’ll find more detailed review, but you can also click links above to see current prices and read customer’s reviews on Amazon.
The CatGenie Litter Box Overview
The CatGenie Litter Box is a self-cleaning unit which flushes and washes on its own. This is a pretty innovative concept not many automatic litter boxes have, as they’re designed as human toilets! This is pretty interesting and innovative for CatGenie, as it would wash the litter box, lessening your efforts.
Fortunately, it isn’t as tough as people think it is. With its understandable programmable instructions, you won’t have much trouble in getting it ready for your cat to use. Even as someone who isn’t tech-savvy, I got to set it up quickly!
Besides this, it comes with more useful features that benefit more than just you and your cat. It does have some downfalls, including its price, but I’ll get into more of that in the next sections, so read on!
Features and Inclusions
These are my favorite and notable features that the CatGenie Litter Box offers:
- Fully automatic in scooping and flushing waste, as well as washing itself clean
- Uses washable litter granules, which is reusable and easy for cats to dig into
- It’s great for three average-sized cats
- The unit includes the washable granules and a SaniSolution cartridge
- The inclusions can last for up to two to three months before requiring replacement
- Comes with a 90-day money-back guarantee and a two-year limited warranty
- Comes with the required T-adapters
These are its requirements and specifications:
- Product Dimensions: 26x22x14 inches
- Litter bed area: 17 inches
- Weight: 25 pounds
- Requirements for installation: Electric outlet, waste water drain, and cold water line
- Power consumption: 20 watts for the cleaning cycle and 1,200 watts for the drying cycle
How Does the CatGenie Litter Box Work?
The CatGenie Litter Box can work and clean litter and waste away using two methods:
- The first function cleans cat stool with a metal scooper, which would begin working only once your cat finished. Afterward, the base would begin rotating, with plastic rains filtering through the scooper. This is what separates the litter from cat stool.
The waste will then be transferred to the waste receptacle, which will often be processed through the sewage.
- The second function is to handle urine. When the litter granules come in contact with urine, these litter will be submerged in water for both cleaning and disinfecting. The process will then be finished off with draining the water from its waste receptacle, which will go through the sewage line.
This unit will utilize the best sensor technology, detecting when the cats have used the litter box. It will then engage a ten-minute delay before cleaning commences. Besides that, it also has other programs and options to make it easier for you and the cats to use, from the smart sleep mode to sanitizing solutions.
Overall Design and Appearance
As I mentioned, I’m very amused with how the CatGenie is designed, looking almost like a toilet bowl! It’s what makes it look sleeker and more modern compared to the other litter boxes available.
My first impression of the “toilet” is that it looks very solid and durable. Yes, it uses plastic, but it’s very sturdy and seems able to withstand a lot of use. Furthermore, it has a deep and spacious base, which I see larger cats being able to sit on comfortably. It can either fit one large cat or multiple average-sized ones, provided they’re older than six months.
The buttons are easy to reach and configure, so you can set up various flushing routines and the sleep mode. Installation is a breeze as well as long as it’s placed strategically. I’ve had no problem with assembling it, you just need pliers and the manuals and you can do it all on your own.
Because of its depth and size, take note that it takes up space in the room. Furthermore, you’ll need to give it access to power outlets and water inlets for the litter box to work.
Different Mode Settings
Here are the different modes to take note of when programming the CatGenie Litter Box:
- CAT START: This cleans the entire unit ten minutes after the cats did their business. During this mode, the CatGenie works in two ways: Sleep and Active Mode. The unit sleeps for ten hours, while it’s active for the rest of the day.
- AUTO START: It allows you to run the unit between one to four times a day, which can clean every few hours a day. Take note, there isn’t a digital timer built into the litter box.
- PUSH START: It has you begin the cleaning cycle anytime once you push the start button. It’s great to use during Sleep Mode or between the AUTO START cycle.
- The cartridge comes with can last between 120 to 240 washes.
Pros and Cons
Here are the different things I liked and disliked about the CatGenie Litter Box:
- Fully automatic with different modes according to your preferred frequency of cleaning
- Very easy to assemble and setup, only needing pliers
- Great for large cats or up to three average-sized cats
- No need to touch the litter at all
- Made with biodegradable litter that’s washable and reusable, as well as hypoallergenic for sensitive cats
- Great for long trips, low-maintenance and no need for major cleaning all the time
- Made of solid construction to last for a long time
- It has a long cleaning process, might not be suitable for cats who use the litter box a lot
- Comes at a very expensive price compared to other self-cleaning litter boxes
- A bit of a hassle to deep clean, requiring complete disassembly
- No option to use batteries in case of power outages requires manual scooping if it happens
Tips to Use the CatGenie Litter Box Well
Here are some helpful tips to follow when using the CatGenie Litter Box:
- Make sure that you choose a strategic location for the litter box. It requires a power outlet and water inlet, so the laundry room is best, allocating more space for it
- I recommend that you clean the unit using the maintenance cartridge at least once every three months to prevent clogging.
- Based on personal experience, you’ll make do better with unseated SaniSolution compared to the scented version
- For younger cats using the litter box, get a Dome, which protects your cat from playing with he litter while it cleans. It’s also better for cats who like to dig or sprays when urinating
- Always keep track of the supplies you have to keep the unit working well and consider getting a mat, as the granules tend to track a lot
Is the CatGenie Litter Box Worth It?
Overall, I believe that the CatGenie Litter Box works excellently and does a job well done. Out of all the self-cleaning litter boxes I’ve tried, this unit isn’t unique, but one of the most efficient. But of course, it comes at a costly price.
So if you’re on a tight budget and space, this might not be for you (yet). I would recommend it most for those who have extra space and can connect the litter box to plumbing. Furthermore, it’s best for cats who defecate firmer stools and if you have one large cats or up to ONLY three average-sized cats.
However, if you have more than three cats and a small apartment, you may want to consider another litter box for now. It’s not also best for playful kittens and those who have a soft stool, as they can damage the unit with it.
But for its price, I believe it to be worth the cost and I can see this lasting for a long time. Kudos to CatGenie for creating a quality unit that completely removes the need to scoop up or monitor the litter box every day.
Wrapping It Up
Hopefully, my reviews on the CatGenie Litter Box helped enlighten if this is the right investment. If you have the extra budget and want to lessen your workload, then find the best deals from CatGenie now.
If you have any questions or want to share your own experiences on the CatGenie Litter Box, then comment below. Your thoughts are much appreciated!