I know how difficult it is to feed your cat, especially if they’re picky eaters like mine! Not only do they choose what to eat, but at what times to eat, so expect united food bowls sometimes. And because I leave food for them for the day ahead, it becomes a bit stale, which they hate.
It’s the reason why automatic feeders are so beneficial, as you can program it to release food for feeding while staying fresh. That way, your cat gets enough fresh cat food with minimal complaints. With the many types of pet feeders available, I chose to try out the Petsafe Automatic Feeder to see if it’s a great choice for all cat owners.
So before you consider purchasing the Petsafe Automatic Feeder, check out my reviews first. This will help you understand how the feeder works and if it’s the right one for you.
Petsafe Automatic Feeder
**Below, you’ll find more detailed review, but you can also click links above to see current prices and read customer’s reviews on Amazon.
The Petsafe Automatic Feeder Overview
The Petsafe Automatic Feeder is simple yet effective, suitable for many types of cats. It allows you to program feeding times and portions from a wide range of options! So whether your cat is on a diet or requires more food, you can customize it according to the way they eat and how much they eat.
Besides that, it’s designed with strength and durability in mind. Made with high-tech programs and strong-quality construction, you can use it for years to get your money’s worth. However, it doesn’t have the sleek design many people want, though I don’t think this is the main priority anyway!
The Cool Features and Specs It Offers
- Dimensions: 13.3 x 10.3 x 15.8 inches
- Weight: 6.5 pounds
- Can store up to 24 cups of dry food in the dispenser
- Programmable options in portion control and time for diets, it can dispense up to 12 portions daily
- Can customize the portion between 1/8 to four cups of food in one sitting
- Includes the unit, stainless steel bowl, a plastic holder, start guide, and user manual
- Suits small to medium-sized cats
- Runs on either AC adapter or 4-D alkaline batteries
- Comes with a locking lid and control panel lock for active cats who love to explore around the unit
- Comes with different special features according to how your cat eats and what you need
How Does The Feeder Work?
The feeder would use conveyor belts to move dry food up, releasing a certain amount of food. The next portion’s protected from another division, released when the programmed time arrives. This is similar to most automatic feeders, having a smooth and quiet operation as it does its job.
I like that it rarely jams nor does it have trouble with larger kibbles. It will always stay accurate in terms of its portion control and time the food dispenses!
It has a guard and locking lid to refrain cats from trying to open up the container to get food. Furthermore, it’s designed with the stainless steel bowl attached to your Petsafe feeder, having a plastic hoop to connect both parts. That way, you can remove the bowl to clean it up as needed.
Special Features Available For Feeding
I like the fact that the Petsafe Automatic Feeder comes with special features not all other feeders have:
- Slow Feed Mode is made best for quick and gluttony cat eaters. This enables the feeder to dispense food slowly and every 15 minutes. I recommend this for owners who have cats who love to eat and would finish their food within a minute!
- Immediate Feed allows you to move forward with the next meal in case you need to feed your cat immediately.
- Pause Feed is great in case you and your cat won’t be using the feeder for a few days. Simply pause it to cease operations without deleting your original programming. It’s great for those who go out of town with their cat a lot!
Tips on Using The Feeder
Here are some tips to follow when using your Petsafe Automatic Feeder:
- Make sure that before you switch on your feeder, the dry food’s on top of the unit’s conveyer belt. This will commence the dispensing without any trouble.
- The chute location can get quite irritating and cats feel bothered with it as they eat. To remedy the depth of the dish and side eating, raise the feeder on higher surfaces instead. Or, you can place a shallow bowl on top of the deeper one for more comfort and less leaning
Pros and Cons
- Pretty easy to set up and made with solid construction to last
- Customizable portion sizes for different mealtimes
- Customizable feeding schedules with as much as 12 meals a day
- Can dispense meals every 15 minutes to prevent eating too quickly
- Unique design that keeps cats away from the food inside its dispenser
- Bowl is made with stainless steel to prevent allergies or acne
- Has a control panel you can lock in case your cats accidentally hit it
- Has a transparent dispenser to monitor the good level
- Programming doesn’t reset in case of power outages
- You can set the next meal to come out immediately as needed
- It can use a power supply but comes without an AC Adapter, which is sold separately
- While easy to set up, it will take time until you understand how to program it
- The bowl is too deep for the usual cats, having them lean down more
- Your cats might eat more to the bowl’s side, another con for tall cats or those who use metal tags
- Minimum portion of cat food can’t dispense within 15 minutes
Is It Worth the Price?
Overall, I like the Petsafe Automatic Feeder, a simple and classic one with all necessary features. It works just as advertised and is extremely easy to use with lots of good features most pet owners will like.
With all that said, I would highly recommend the Petsafe Automatic Feeder for small and medium-sized cats. I also recommend it for cats who are always hungry and want to eat an entire bowl in one sitting! With its slow feed mode, it dispenses only a bit of food in more frequent intervals for a cat who eats a lot.
However, there are some considerations, especially with the design of the bowl. If you have a tall cat, then it may be uncomfortable for him since he’ll be leaning down a lot! Regardless, I still see this feeder a good investment and rich for my small cat!
Wrapping It Up
Choosing a good automatic cat feeder can get quite difficult, which is why it’s important to look into the right factors. With the Petsafe Automatic Feeder, I believe it best for smaller cats and owners who want more customizability. I would use it for the long-term, though be wary of the noise!
I hope my review on the Petsafe Automatic Feeder gave you an idea on what to invest in. So don’t wait any longer and invest in a good cat feeder now.
If you have any questions or want to share your own experiences in the Petsafe Automatic Feeder, then comment below. All your thoughts are much appreciated.