Back then, I was having such a problem trying to figure out how to feed my cat properly. It wasn’t just because of their diet, but because I had such a busy schedule and would sometimes have no time to feed my cat in the middle of the day. And no, free feeding doesn’t work for my picky cat who hates eating food that becomes stale throughout the day.
That’s why I decided to invest in an automatic pet feeder, which I can program according to what my cat needs. I saw that the Surefeed Microchip Pet Feeder was quite effective and decided to give it a try!
However, is it really as worth it as they say? I did the research and tests myself, so read on! I’ll help you figure out if the Surefeed Microchip Pet Feeder is right for you.
Surefeed Microchip Pet Feeder
**Below, you’ll find more detailed review, but you can also click links above to see current prices and read customer’s reviews on Amazon.
The Surefeed Microchip Pet Feeder Overview
The SureFed Microchip Pet Feeder is one of the most unique feeders out there. It utilizes sensors to make sure that the RIGHT cat feeds from the bowl, depending on their microchip or collar tag. If ever the wrong cat goes to the bowl, the lid stays closed, protecting the food.
So when the authorized cat comes near the bowl to eat, the lid opens up and will close automatically after he’s done with his meal. That way, his food is protected from the lid, away from other animals and kids, while keeping it fresh!
It comes with the unit itself with two bowls, a mat, and a collar tag for identification.
Safety and Suitability For Cats
I appreciate that the unit is made with non-toxic materials and ensures safety for both cats and children. If ever you have curious children or unauthorized cats who want more food, the lid shuts close but it won’t be painful. The pressure put on the lid doesn’t hurt but still ensures that it stays closed to prevent anyone from getting to the food.
As for the cat’s suitability, they won’t have any trouble with the feeder. My cat doesn’t have problems eating from it, nor does he have any allergic reactions. He got used to waiting until the lid opens and now patiently waits for a few seconds before he can eat his food.
Reliability and Durability to Last
I like that the feeders come in such strong and durable bowls to ensure that it lasts for long. You won’t need to worry about cats breaking the lid or the hood losing its power as time goes by. After using it for quite some time, it still performs like new and has excellent power regardless of how my cat uses it.
Comparing it to other IR or RFID feeders, SureFeed makes sure that the cat’s head always stays in contact with the sensor while he eats. This prevents it from closing if ever your cat moves as he eats. As a result, your cat eats comfortably without being irritated with the lid closing.
Ease of Adjustment and Use
I really love how easy it is to set up and program the feeder. You can also select the time delay adjustment, which ensures that the lid closes at a certain time after the cat walks away. You can adjust it between one to three seconds.
There’s even an intruder mode you can adjust, which ensures that the lid shuts tightly if an unauthorized cat tries to steal someone else’s food!
Besides this, the user manual it comes with has the understandable instructions AND extra training tips for feeding cats. That way, you can utilize all the other extra features it has and makes sure your cat has the best feeding experience each time.
Tips on Using The Feeder
To use the cat feeder properly, follow these tips:
- Place it in areas away from electrical or metallic appliances
- Keep the RFID sensor as clean as possible
- Register your cat’s microchip without any other microchipped cat nearby
- Look at the user’s manual, which also comes with extra training tips for feeding your cat
- Don’t put the feeder inside the fridge. You also can’t place ice packs in the feeder
- If you put wet food in the feeder, make sure that you check it after the day ends to make sure it isn’t spoiled. If so, dispose of the food properly and hand wash as needed.
- Be wary if you have aggressive cats who might fight with others while eating!
Pros and Cons
- It’s very easy to use and setup with understandable constructions
- The entire feeder has the solid construction to stay stable and last long
- The feeder is compatible with most, if not all, existing microchips all over the world
- You have the option to use an RFID collar tag if your cat isn’t microchipped
- You’re able to register up to 32 different IDs for multi-cat households
- You can control food intakes for your individual cat
- It can protect your cat’s prescription or special diet from other pets
- It has a rubber seal around the bowls for better sealing to cover smells and protect it from pests
- It has the ability to work with extra bowls as needed
- It’s a free-feeding bowl for a cat, so they have chances of eating everything in their bowl in one go
- There isn’t any timer so you can’t split each cat’s daily intake
- The bowls included aren’t dishwasher-safe and has no ice pack included
Worth the Price?
The Surefeed Microchip Pet Feeder has an interesting design that makes it easy to program. What’s great about it is that it works as advertised and you won’t have to worry about it dying on you! Though it comes at such an expensive price, I believe it to be worth the investment for most cat owners.
I highly recommend it for those who have more than just one pet, as it keeps food away from other animals. Furthermore, it works well in multi-cat households so each cat has the right amount of food. That way, all your cats get equal amounts while sharing the bowl, which is also important if one has special food or is sick.
However, if you don’t use microchips on your cat or if they don’t use collars, this may not be for you. Besides this, taller and bigger cats may also have trouble eating from it.
That’s why it’s crucial to evaluate your cat’s needs and lifestyle before getting a feeder! The Surefeed Microchip Feeder is worth the investment if you have a multi-cat home, though others might not find its worth if they can’t use all its features.
Wrapping It Up
Overall, I really appreciate what the Surefeed Microchip Pet Feeder has to offer. I believe it best for multi-cat homes for all types of cats, whether they’re overweight or don’t eat as much as usual.
I hope my Surefeed Microchip Pet Feeder review gave you an idea on what to get. Now that you know all about this feeder, check out some good deals if you believe it’s right for you.
Do you have any questions or want to share your own experiences on the Surefeed Microchip Pet Feeder? Then comment below, your thoughts are much appreciated!