I’m sure many of you are familiar with the PetSafe company and the many products they offer. Not only do they have products for cats, but dogs as well, offering a variety of useful items. That’s why when I found out they had a PetSafe Simply Clean Litter Box, I decided to invest in it.
It isn’t your typical litter box, and that’s what amused me the most since it lessened the need to clean and maintain. But the question is: Does it perform as well as the company claims it? I did the tests and research myself, so read on to learn more about this litter box!
PetSafe Simply Clean Litter Box
**Below, you’ll find more detailed review, but you can also click links above to see current prices and read customer’s reviews on Amazon.
The PetSafe Simply Clean Litter Box Overview
The PetSafe Simply Clean Litter Box is also best known as the Whisker City Litter Box. This is an automatic self-cleaning unit which works well in cleaning up clumps and waste. This is because it works through rotating as opposed to using a rake, which is what other self-cleaning litter boxes do.
Because of this type of cleaning, it can easily reduce odors, too. With this type of unique cleaning process, it works well with premium clumping litter than the regular ones.
Fortunately, there’s no other supply you’ll need with the litter box other than the premium cat litter. You can use any type of bag to dispose of waste and it’s known to suit larger cats and multi-cat households. I’ll get into more of the details, so read on!
Design and Appearance
I was a bit doubtful with the overall design because it was different from the typical square or rectangular ones. However, the innovative and unique design is what makes it work best.
The only thing I don’t like about it is its bulkiness. It’s lighter than other litter boxes, yes, but it takes up a lot of space, which may be a disadvantage for those who live in smaller areas. Furthermore, it may stand out in a room, in a bad way, as it has a more “older’ look compared to the sleek litter boxes we see today.
This doesn’t change the fact that it’s solidly built and can perform well, though. I try not to judge based on just the appearance alone, and its performance still makes it worth the investment.
Features and Specifications
These are the features and specifications the litter box offers:
- Unique round design that rotates to clean off waste automatically, reducing the need to scoop waste
- Easy to clean the bowl and its parts
- Known to reduce odor and bacteria with its unique cleaning process
- Easy to assemble and program on your own
- Has quiet operation and uses AC/DC power adaptor
- No need to use any special bags, it can use any disposable plastic bags
- Works best using premium clumping litter
- Bowl completes a rotation hourly and is used indoors
- Cats of up to 15 pounds can use it, can work for up to two cats
- Has a one-year warranty and 30-day money-back guarantee
- Product dimensions: 19x26x10 inches
- Tray size: 10 inches from side to the center
- Weight: 14 pounds
How Does the Litter Box Work?
This particular system works through continuously rotating using a conveyer belt. This conveyer belt acts as a sort of escalator, where waste suits through then move up. It will then fall into a waste compartment, which you’ll dispose of later.
It rotates slowly, moving little by little each minute, to lessen the chances of litter from falling out. This also ensures that your cats aren’t disturbed by the movement while doing their business.
This is a different way to clean up and “scoop” waste without actually using a rake. That way, there are fewer chances of the rake getting stuck, or having to deal with more messes.
Besides this, it also doesn’t require any special bags or trays to replace, being able to put the waste in plastic bags you have at home.
Ease of Cleaning and Maintenance
I love how easy this litter box is to clean since it’s made with a smooth material and the like. You can wash and deep clean the bowl on your own, using a mild detergent and a bit of bleach to remove the odor.
When disposing of the waste, just remove the collection bucket then toss all the contents in a bag or trash bin. Another thing you can do to make things easier is to line the compartment using small trash or plastic bags. Tie and toss the bag, then replace the plastic in the compartment, much simpler without the need to get any special part or product from the company.
I recommend that you clean the entire bowl at least thrice a month and to throw waste once a week or more, depending on your cat’s toilet habits.
Pros and Cons
These are the things I appreciate about the PetSafe Simply Clean Litter Box:
- Very simple setup and easy to assemble and operate
- Can clean the litter box efficiently through slow rotations
- No need to purchase extra and costly supplies
- Reliable and durable for years to come
- Better odor control compared to other systems
- Very easy to maintain and dispose of the waste
- Helps you save up on litter for fewer costs
- Quiet operation compared to other types of cat litter boxes available
- Comes at a cheaper price compared to automatic self-cleaning litter boxes
- No full indicator to let you know when to replace or how much litter to add
- Litter guards are shallow, not great for cats who kick or urinate everywhere
- Some complaints of the unit making squeaking sound over time
- No dome or hood for cat’s privacy
- You cannot detach the conveyor’s arm
How the Cat Liked It
My cats aren’t easily scared, so they were able to adapt to the litter box easier. But of course, there was still some trouble in getting them to use the circle-shaped box. They seemed to have gotten used to something with more depth and higher walls.
After a few days, they managed to get used to it and its operations. Fortunately, it’s sizeable enough to fit a very large cat, and they have room to wiggle around and do their business comfortably. Some cats may not like the way it operates, which is why I recommend that you only time its rotations twice a day or so.
Besides that, I feel like cats of all sizes will find this litter box just fine for their business.
Tips on Using the PetSafe Simply Clean Litter Box
Here are some helpful tips to follow to make the litter box improve its performance:
- The litter box would operate in slow and continuous rotations all day long, not coming with a timer. It’s best to purchase one to set the number of cleaning cycles (such as two rotations per day) to prevent it from scaring your cat. This also helps with the motor’s lifespan.
- You need to have premium clumping litter for this, as dusty litter would destroy the unit!
- It’s best to disassemble and clean the ENTIRE unit, also lubricating tray rollers to help its performance and lifespan. You can do this at least once a month or so.
Is the PetSafe Simply Clean Litter Box Worth It?
I can see that the PetSafe Simply Clean Litter Box is worth the investment. It has a good operation and reliable performance which picks up waste without the high costs or hassle. Plus, cleaning isn’t as much of a hassle compared to other litter boxes, since you can use disposable bags and replace it once a week.
Furthermore, it fits multiple cat households and large cats as well. While it has minor drawbacks in terms of its wall height and shallow depth, I find it a great purchase if you have a cat who doesn’t kick litter or urinate high.
Availability and What Other Customers Think
The unit is pretty accessible and available on PetSafe’s official website and other third-party sellers. However, this depends on where you’re from, as you may not find it in certain countries.
As for the overall customer reviews, most have very positive comments, with them saying the litter box has cut costs in cleaning and maintenance. They also saved time and energy cleaning up their cats’ messes.
However, one general complaint is its lack of timer and high walls. Other than that, the litter box offers the necessary performance and cleaning at an affordable price.
Wrapping It Up
I hope that my PetSafe Simply Clean Litter Box review helped narrow down your choices on what to invest in. If you feel that the litter box is perfect for your cats, then find the best deals on it now!
If you have any questions or want to share our own experiences on the PetSafe Simply Clean Litter Box, then comment below. All of your thoughts are much appreciated!