I’m in love with my cats but if there’s one problem I have with them, it’s got to be their toilet duties! While a litter box helps alleviate the smell and prevent messes all over the house, you need the RIGHT one. There are so many litter box reviews all over claiming the best, but I believe it’s best to do your research to see which fits your individual needs.
This is where I come along to review different litter boxes, including the popular Omega Paw Self-Cleaning Litter Box. I wanted to see if this simple and popular litter box does its job in trapping smells at an affordable price.
Omega Paw Self-Cleaning Litter Box
**Below, you’ll find more detailed review, but you can also click links above to see current prices and read customer’s reviews on Amazon.
Omega Paw Self-Cleaning Litter Box Overview
The Omega Paw Self-Cleaning Litter Boxes another unique litter box that reduces the need for scooping waste. However, it’s different from your typical automatic litter boxes out there, as you’ll still need to clean it manually. But in the case of Omega, you’ll spin it on your own, no power required.
This works simply based on rolling and sifting, without worrying about the power and dealing with the mess. Just make sure that you dispose of the waste from the compartment properly!
While it isn’t an automatic self-cleaning litter box many appreciate today, cat owners love it because of how it doesn’t have them scoop smelly waste at a more affordable price. It’s better than using the standard litter box you have to scoop from daily!
Features It Offers
These are my favorite features that the Omega Litter Box offers, as well as the necessary measurements:
- Has a privacy hood and a pull-out waste container for easier handling
- Can come in either medium or large sizes to suit your cats
- Solid and lightweight construction, easy to move around and will last long
- Self cleans, just roll the unit in one motion and waste goes to the receptacle
- No need for expensive filters or electricity, saving you more in the long run
- Can fit cats of all sizes, suitable for multi-cat households as well
- The waste receptacle can trap odors and dust with fewer chances of leaking
- Litter box comes with free shipping and a one-year warranty for cost-efficiency
- Product dimensions (regular): 18x18x20 inches
- Product dimensions (large): 23x19x19 inches
Design and Appearance
I like the design of the Omega Paw Self-Cleaning Litter Box. It isn’t exactly the most compact, but it has a huge size that makes it fit most cats, even larger ones. While it may be a hassle in finding out where it fits at home, at least it’s good for multi-cat households or will fit bigger cats comfortably.
Furthermore, the litter box has a privacy hood, a huge advantage for cats who like doing their business in peace. Because of its hood and high walls, you won’t have to worry about much tracking and messes outside the surrounding area.
Assembly and setup was a breeze as well, with the package coming in complete parts and pieces. You just need to attach everything without the need for tools and you’re good to go. Just make sure all parts are latched securely to have it work best.
Efficiency In Operation
The way it operates depends on how well you roll and sift through the waste. I’m glad to say that for a manual litter box, it does the job well done in sifting through waste. As long as I roll the litter box slowly and knock the stuck clumps, most of the waste goes through and will go straight to the waste compartment.
Another factor in its operation is the litter you use. I highly recommend that you use high-quality clumping cat litter that’s known to clump very hard. This prevents it from sticking to the sides and having you clean it on your own more.
Also, take note that the Omega litter box is a bit bulky and will need more space to roll it. It isn’t a problem for me, though it might be an issue if you have limited space.
Ease of Cleaning and Maintenance
Fortunately, cleaning and maintaining the litter box is a breeze. You just need to roll it well. Also, you have to throw the waste out at appropriate times and clean the entire box periodically.
I recommend that you roll the litter box twice if there is a lot of waste, also knocking it a bit when inverted. This releases any clumps that stick to the box’s bottom. Also, make sure that you roll your litter box slowly, as rolling too fast would have clumps go back to clean litter. It’s best to clean your box once a day or so, depending on how many cats use it.
Add new litter to the box when you see it’s below two inches deep. You can do so by tilting the box backward to pour in litter until it’s three inches deep. Make sure that you dispose of the waste properly from the waste compartment at least once a week.
I suggest that you wash the litter box at least once a month. You’ll need to disassemble the box and dump out all litter and waste. Rinse the litter box and allow it to soak for an hour with water and a bit of bleach. Air-dry it, reassemble, and then add new litter!
How Do the Cats Like It?
I feel like the cats appreciated the litter box not just because of the privacy hood but because of its big size. I don’t find a lot of litter boxes that accommodate larger cats and multi-cat households, but this one checked both standards.
As long as I use the right litter they like, then both cats and I have no issues. It didn’t take them too long until they were able to begin using the litter box regularly, too.
Just be wary that some cats may not like the privacy hood and the darkness, especially when doing their business at night! Fortunately, it still has high walls and a removable hood to remedy that issue.
Pros and Cons
Here are things I loved and disliked about the Omega Paw Self-Cleaning Litter Box:
- Comes at a very affordable price for a litter box without the need to scoop
- Waste isn’t exposed to air compared to regular litter boxes
- No need for batteries or outlets, all done manually without the worry of losing power
- Simple assembly and operation, very understandable
- Saves you a lot of time and money on cat litter in the long run
- Can fit small and large cats with comfort, great for two to three cats
- The latches of the system are a bit weak, requires a bit more time strengthening it
- Litter clumps may get stuck on the grate, can be solved with quality cat litter
- Requires more cleaning compared to automatic letterboxes
- Needs larger space so you can roll and clean the unit
Tips on Using the Litter Box
Here are some tips you can follow when using the Omega Paw Self-Cleaning Litter Box:
- Are you stuck on what size of the litter box to get? The regular size is best for growing kittens and young adult cats. The larger size is meant for adult cats who are over 10-15 pounds.
- For those who have slight odor problems with the cat litter and waste, I recommend that you add a bit of baking soda to the litter. This would absorb most of the odors around and lessen its intensity
- If you have cats who hate the privacy hood, you can take the cover off first. I recommend that you train them to do their business with it after since it lessens the smell around while also preventing litter and urine spills
Is the Omega Paw Self-Cleaning Litter Box Worth It?
Now that you’re familiar with what the Omega Paw Self-Cleaning Litter Box is, should you get it?
I say yes, BUT this depends on various factors!
If you HATE scooping but can’t afford the automatic and advanced self-cleaning litter boxes out there, you’ll appreciate the roll and sift feature. It comes at a cheaper price and has you simply roll waste out without spending too much time and effort scooping.
However, if you have a smaller home and space for the litter box, consider something smaller. Yes, you’ll still need to clean it a bit often, but it beats scooping up waste and being exposed to it face-to-face!
Overall, I see it worth the price, just make sure you use the right cat litter and assemble it correctly!
Wrapping It Up
Hopefully, this review on the Omega Paw Self-Cleaning Litter Box gave you an idea on what to get! So don’t wait any longer and make the right investment now.
If you have any questions or want to share your reviews on Omega products, do comment below. All your thoughts are much appreciated!